How To Modify Child Custody And Support Orders

In life, few things are set in stone. Jobs change, opportunities come and go, and we have to adapt. When these changes affect child custody arrangements or child support payments, it is easy to become overwhelmed. Just remember, you are not alone.

Petersen Law Firm, PLLC in Tucson provides families in Arizona with the resources they need to build a better future. I, attorney Riisa Petersen Mandel, founded this firm on the idea that your attorney should treat your case with the same seriousness you do.

What Circumstances Lead To A Modification?

The standard for modifying a child support or custody order is a “substantial and continuing” change in circumstances. This might happen when someone paying child support loses their job, or the parent receiving payments now has a higher-paying job, or one parent wishes to move out of state. Modifications can be temporary or permanent, depending on the details of your case.

Arizona courts consider a variety of factors to establish whether and how much child support should be paid, as well as what type of custody arrangement is in the best interests of the child. To ensure these factors are viewed in the light most favorable to you, work with an attorney who will go above and beyond.

Filing For A Modification

Your modification petition must be filed in the same Arizona county where the last official order was issued. In most cases, the other parent will object to the modification and you will need to have a hearing before a family court judge.

Laws relating to child support and custody favor stability for children, so modifying an order is not always an easy process. This is where it is so important to have someone on your team to represent your interests. I will advocate for your future with determination, grit, and unwavering determination.

Adapt To Your Changing Life

If you have concerns about your current child custody or child support arrangements, don’t suffer in silence. I am here to listen, and to help. Contact Petersen Law Firm, PLLC in Tucson by calling 520-829-1025 or through our online contact form.