Modifying child support

On Behalf of | Jul 24, 2019 | Family Law

An award of child support made one year may become outdated if there is a change in circumstances. In Arizona, certain benchmarks exist that make modification possible in the first place.

There are several reasons a parent may have to ask for child support to change. The attorneys here at Petersen Law Firm, PLLC strive to provide you the support you need to effect a change in the child support previously set.

A change in financial situation

The typical reason a parent needs a child support modification involves a change in financial status. In Arizona, the court only reviews modification requests with an ongoing and substantial change. Some examples of this include:

  • A job loss or change
  • Change in physical time with children
  • Relocation out of state
  • A child ages out

Either party may request a modification.

Temporary or permanent change

If the person requesting the change presents substantial evidence supporting it, the court may consider making the adjustment permanent or temporary. In the case of one child aging out, the decreased child support amount would likely remain permanent until the last child reaches 18. In the case of a job loss, the court may adjust the amount temporarily. Either way, the change should take effect on the month or date the court indicates in the order.

Obtaining a change to child support is a process that may take some time. Understanding what qualifies is the first step. Visit our website for more helpful information on this and other family law topics.